Laz Rothstein, Esq. is experienced corporate and securities lawyer with a strong record of performance in (i) strategic planning as part of executive management teams at public companies, (ii) U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission periodic reporting and preparation of registration statements, (iii) private and public securities offerings including private investments in public companies (PIPEs); (iv) drafting, negotiating and completing a wide variety of mergers and acquisitions, asset acquisitions, public company reverse mergers, formation of joint ventures involving difficult and diverse domestic and international corporate, securities and financial issues, product distribution, marketing and promotion agreements, real estate leases and software license and service agreements and (v) managing litigation in a wide range of matters including cases involving government and regulatory proceedings, commercial litigation, maritime disputes, shareholder class action and securities law litigation, labor matters, premises liability, general commercial, products liability, infringement litigation and governmental investigations including drafting complex settlement agreements in a variety of multi-party commercial disputes.
Laz has held executive legal positions at a vertically integrated multi-state cannabis operator, a producer and distributor of industrial commodities, a diversified global prestige fragrance and beauty products company, a full-line sporting goods retailer, a billing and customer care software provider and a specialty retailer of wireless communication products and services and the private practice of law.
• For over 30 years, representing buyers, sellers, investors, corporate directors, and other stakeholders in domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions valued in excess of $1 billion.
• Represented a publicly listed multistate cannabis operator in acquiring multiple cannabis businesses including a Florida Medical Marijuana Treatment Center for over $86 million in cash and public company stock, a roll-up and reverse merger of Harvest Health (now Trulieve) into a Canadian Securities Exchange (CSE) listed company, the acquisition of an operator of multiple recreational cannabis dispensaries in Washington and California valued at over $100 million, the acquisition of a Nevada cannabis cultivation and production facility for $35 million in cash and the acquisition of a California medical and recreational cannabis dispensary.
• Completed numerous underwritten public equity and debt offerings and private placements, including early stage and other venture capital financings, private investment in public entities (PIPE) transactions, reverse mergers, filed numerous registration statements with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and drafted and filed Exchange Act Reports and Section 16 filings.
• Completed acquisitions of a U.S., Canadian and Chinese prestige fragrance distributor in transactions valued in excess of $160 million and acquisitions of multiple Chinese companies, including a magnesium production facility.
• Participated in a $1 billion merger between the Sports Authority and Gart Sports, including strategic planning, due diligence, SEC compliance and post-closing integration.
• Negotiated multiple cross-border industrial commodity purchase and sale agreements, product distribution and software license agreements, including exclusive license agreement with Britney Spears and other celebrities, and complex agency agreements with national cellular telecommunications carriers.
• Negotiated multiple information technology agreements including worldwide outsourcing, communication systems, software and other IT related services agreements.
• Supported a sales organization that achieved over $50 million in sales of software licenses and services.
• Established legal entities in China and Taiwan that acquired local fragrance distributor.
• Structured and consummated an e-commerce joint venture capitalized with a $20 million venture capital investment and negotiated agreements for the development, operation and hosting of an e-commerce website.
• Negotiated numerous office and retail store leases, including mall-based stores and strip shopping centers.
• Managed the real estate department for a portfolio of over 270 retail stores and managed the lease administration department of a national specialty retailer.
• Successfully pursued and managed multiple commercial lawsuits and managed cases involving maritime disputes, Federal securities law, shareholder class action, labor matters, premises liability, general commercial, products liability and infringement litigation, governmental investigations including the SEC, NASDAQ and FINRA.
• Negotiated and documented multiple loans and real estate transactions in excess of $1,000,000.
Laz earned a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting at Florida State University and a Juris Doctor Degree from the Shepard Broad College of Law at Nova Southeastern University.